Friday 22 September 2017

Touch down... Colombo

Before I even get to Colombo, could I just give a shout out to the airport shuttle bus driver.. I knew this trip was going to be a good one when the bus driver started his journey with 'apologies to all those on board, this trip usually takes 25min, but tonight there seems to be a lot of traffic on the road. Don't worry though... We have WiFi onboard... Or... You could all just talk to each other, how nice would that be!'. A few chuckles later off we went...

I think this has set the tone of the trip. My new Sri Lankan travellers are all great 'talkers'.

I unknowingly encountered the first at the Melbourne airport when she tried to give me a worn tatty copy of a book she had just finished. Since then we have spent the afternoon in Sri Lanka discussing her life woes. All good though, she's vey lovely!

Ok. Group make up for Lara!

12 travellers
1-2 are Sarah and I (Aussies)
3-4 are Sandra and Trevor, she lady of leisure, he an engineer (Aussies)
5 is Debbie, semi-retired teacher I think... Older empty nester (Aussie)
6 is Donna for Scotland and travelling around for three months
7 is Neil, retired navy officer from Perth
8 is Bidi... And I'm actually not sure that is her name, possibly retired (Auckland)
9 is Lidia, my arvo buddy, retired from illness, has been homeless, may be again, but super optimistic! (Margaret river, W.A)
10 is not Camilla but Cosima? (pronounced Cosema?) no story yet (Aussie)
11 is Marita, prep teacher from Melbourne suburbs
And
12 is Amy(?) a very beautiful blonde high school teacher of 7-10 and runs her own theatre company (Melbourne)

Our guide is Matish, a Li ely Sri Lankan guy, who's assistant (baggage collection, bus tidier, etc) is Hemah(? Hymeh?) and the driver Lal.

And that's all in a nutshell. Everyone is super travelled and are great talkers. No sense of this being a quiet trip.

Ok, generally Sri Lankan musings...

Its hot, like walk off the plane, slap you in the face, deep inhale hot!

The shower (in my hotel) and I have had a spitting competition, I won on all accounts (you cant even call it a trickle!).

Mosquitos are everywhere.. Like 8 bites in my room and counting... Dengue fever season has started. Cases in three of the places we visit.... Tell me, why the heck did I get a polio shot and not something for dengue fever! Ugh

The food has been truly delicious. Lunch was a prawn noodle salad, and dinner was a devilish calamari with rice. Attaching food photos!

Tomorrow is a lovely start to the trip with an 8:30am leave time. Breakfast from 7am. More on tomorrow... Tomorrow!

Must be up shortly.

A xox

No comments:

Post a Comment